When most people travel abroad, they stay in hotels or resorts and don’t get the chance to immerse themselves in the culture of the country they are visiting. If you choose to do a World Endeavors intern, study or volunteer program that offers a home stay with a native family, you will have the opportunity of a life time. Here are some reasons a home stay is such a great experience.
1. The family will most likely cook local and delicious food for you daily.
2. In some cases they might even do your laundry for you!
3. You can ask them about their culture and gain an understanding of your surroundings and why people have certain customs or how they came about.
4. You can see how people live day-to-day.
5. They can make suggestions for local places to eat. This will give you a chance to go to these places and mingle with the locals.
6. If there are any interesting places to visit in the area, such as caves, beaches or castles that not many people know about, they will probably give you tips on where it is and how to get there.
7. If you have doubts about how to do daily tasks in a foreign country, especially one that speaks a different language, such as catching the bus or setting up your cell phone, they will also be able to help.
8. It’s nice to have a home away from home in a foreign country. Often, you will be able to do activities with them or go on trips with them.
9. You can stay in contact with the family after you leave. This may increase your chances of going back to visit!
10. You can greatly improve your language skills if the family doesn’t speak English.